Poverty in Sydney, do we care enough?
I take it back; Sydney may not be as beautiful as I thought. As for every city, it’s only a facade. So we’ve been getting to know the city for the past days. No, not only the opera and the downtown Sydney, but also what’s around. The ghetto, yeah, there are ghettos in Sydney too. And one report from the Australian Council of Social Service is all over the news right now. It states that one of eight Australians live in poverty, that’s over 2.2 million people living below the poverty line for wealthy countries. And this includes every sixth Australian kid. I know it feels like ‘’yeah yeah, poor poor people, I can’t do anything about it.’’, and I feel that way too! That, alone, makes me feel bad for not caring more. Should I? Why would I? Would I feel good if I did, or would the thought of it depress me all day long? And if so, why would I do something depressive? … I guess I want to care more, but don’t see the reason why. I can’t picture myself spending my time helping these people. Does that make me bad? Or does that just make me normal?
How do you feel about yourself? Do you think
you should care more?
Check out the article here: http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of-living/what-life-looks-like-for-22-million-australians-below-the-poverty-line/story-fnagkbpv-1226498551944
If anyone, the Australians should be the ones
to take care of the poor. Is the governmental budget prioritizing the main
population too much and not the poor population enough? I believe a first world
country, such as Australia, has the possibility to give structure and a much
better sustainability to the ghetto. And over a certain period of time lift the
poor up and out of poverty. It’s not easy, I understand that, but I’m sure it’s
possible.
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar